Our Story

Captain Ed's Shoppe first opened its doors in 1967.

The shops have managed to survive eight American presidents! Though not without some fast thinking. In fact, it was in 1980, during the Reagan administration, that the shop was forced to change its name from Heads & Highs, which the Feds suggested implied drug use. Edwin Marsh Adair III, a.k.a. Captain Ed, was an aspiring actor turned pot activist. He didn't like being told what to do, but he found a happy solution: He named the place after himself. Co-owner Bob Silverman didn't mind, and the rest is history.

The shop has barely changed since the days of Hendrix & Abbie Hoffman. The walls are covered in out of print posters, stapled up by nearly 50 years of hippie hands, and the wooden floors are stained deep with decades of stoner tracks. A cloud of incense hangs over the display cases, jammed with colorful glass pipes, the most trend setting vaporizers, one-of-a-kind glass art collectibles and every other product that could be desired by hedonist young and old. Hundreds of thousands of signatures have been collected over the years for legalization and other worthy costs.

In 2013, Captain Ed's was proud to open an all-heady glass art gallery next door to our Reseda location. Check our schedule for events.

 

You can now order online or visit one of our famous store locations:

7011 Reseda Boulevard
Reseda, CA 91335-4209
(818) 996-1222

 6704 Van Nuys Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91405-4619
(818) 989-3222

 

 


View Larger Map